Sunday, January 11, 2009

Unexpected Piano Music Part Two: Southbound

This is the song that opened my eyes to this topic. I feel ashamed to admit it, but in my 30 years or so of listening to this song, I had never, not once, noticed there was a piano back there. Of course, now that I notice it, I wonder how I could possibly have ever missed it. (There is even a piano solo beginning at the 3:00 mark or so. Hello, McFly!?) The next step in the progression was to realize how much the Allman Brothers Band uses a piano (or at least a piano-like instrument). Two of their most popular songs (Jessica and Ramblin’ Man) use it, as do a handful of more obscure (but every bit as interesting) songs.

I don’t have much more to say on this one. The piano part sounds really, really simple, almost (but not quite) like I could play it right now. (Very different from the piano part Telegraph Road in that respect.) And it sounds like a lot of fun.





Southbound - The Allman Brothers Band

No comments: