Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Good news, bad news

The good news:

- For 2008, I met my target quota.
- My company (IBM) surpassed Wall Street expectations, and issued strong guidance for 2009. Stock is up $9 today.
- For 2009, I have a healthy pipeline in my accounts, and I am well-positioned to continue, if not extend my 2008 success. Strong words in this economy.

The bad news:

- None of the above was positive enough to keep me and many hundreds of my colleagues from losing their jobs. I (we) have until February 23 to find new jobs within IBM, or accept IBM's gracious severance package, and some well-wishes.

Bummer. I'm not happy about this.

I'll keep you updated. For now, I have already applied for 9 openings I found at my customers, working on projects whose underlying software I was instrumental in selling. That could be interesting.

- Aw2pp, who might have quite a bit of free time on his hands soon

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, man, that is a bummer. I'm sorry. My hubby just survived the layoffs at his company last week, thank heaven. But a number of folk he knows did not. I hope you find something very soon.

AnthonyB said...

I'm sure you'll find something else. Who knows, maybe you'll end up whatever that is even more. Of course, it may be difficult to find something with as much work out of the home as you had with your previous work.

I hope you can get everything sorted out quickly.

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

So sorry to hear your news. I hope you come up with something soon, either inside or outside IBM. DH just survived the layoffs at his company yesterday. It's not pretty out there. Take care,
AdagioM

M.A. said...

Can't wait to see what God has in store for you!!

Michelle Himes said...

I'm really sorry to hear that. My late husband was an IBMer who was forced into early retirement while 2 of our kids were still in college. With 4 kids and a new house, the timing is much worse for you. I hope you find the perfect job very soon.

Mike @ Farmstay El Porton Verde said...

greetings Aw2pp, uncle mike here...

if there any openings in Managua, I can hook you up with a nice place to live on the finca... much like Nigeria the winters are mild hahaha.

Same time zone though!

I enjoy your blog.