Friday, June 6, 2008

Friday night piano blogging

Boy, there are four words that have probably never been put together before. The kids are in bed, getting some rest before their first-ever swim meet tomorrow morning. Early tomorrow morning. WAY TOO EARLY tomorrow morning. If I had a digital, I'd be practicing on it right now, but since I don't, I look at eBay listings of digitals. Which is only fun for like three minutes, at which point it becomes time to move onto something more meaningful.

This evening, I got in about 30 minutes' worth of practice on Raisins and Almonds. About the fourth or fifth time through, I heard polite applause from another room in the house, signifying (I think) that I was making progress. Then an observation followed the applause: "That sounds like a really sad song." Well, I must have been doing something right, because, wow, is it a sad song. Lyrics, please:


When I was a tiny sleepyhead
Mama gently would tuck me into bed,
And sing of raisins and almonds,
And the sweet years to be,
Sweet as raising and almonds,
Oh, that dear memory!
Oh, that dear memory!


And supposedly it's even sadder in the original Yiddish. I'll defer to the experts on that. Anyway, I have progressed on this piece to where it sounds like recognizable music. I am almost at tempo, but there are just a couple of trip-me-up parts to get ironed out. I'm not done with it, but it's good enough to move onto the next piece, He's Got the Whole World in His Hands.

Final tidbit: the ice cream truck drove by the other day, playing The Entertainer. Jillian said she wanted to learn it. Strangely enough, that would be the next piece, after He's Got the Whole World in His Hands. Maybe we'll work on it together.

No comments: