Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day One in Dallas: Foiled!

I walked into a music store across from Chipotle, last night's (and potentially tonight's) dinner destination. The Stoner Behind the Counter greeted me:

Stoner: "Hi. Can I help you?"

Me: "Yeah, do you have any practice rooms? With pianos?"

Stoner: "Um, for what?"

Me: "To practice piano. I'm in town on business for the week, and thought I would kill some time playing some of my piano lessons."

Stoner: (picks up the phone, for a moment, then puts it down) "Well, we give piano lessons here."

Me: "Right, but I have my own teacher." (Yes, I'm a liar.) "I just figured I'd check around and see if there were any places that had a piano I could practice on while I'm in town."

Stoner: (picks up the phone again and stares at the receiver... but says nothing)

Me: "You don't get asked this question much, do you?"

Stoner: (puts the phone back down) "No, nobody ever asked that before." (pauses, thinks really hard) "We could maybe let you use our piano. I'd have to ask my manager, though. We'd probably have to charge you something."

Me: "Ok, no problem. How much do you think it would cost?"

Stoner: "Well, the hourly rate is $25 for piano lessons. So probably that."

Me: "Even though there would be nobody giving me a lesson..."

Stoner: "Well, yeah, we'd work with you on that. Can maybe my manager call you?"

Some guy in a suit was perusing sheet music behind me. He was apparently listening to all this. I'm sure he tried to hold back, but at this point, he could no longer contain himself, and he burst out laughing. Anyway, I actually gave Stoner my number, saw him write it down, and headed out the door.

I haven't heard back from them, by the way. Nor do I expect to.

I then went across the street to Walgreen's to pick up some AA batteries for the roll-up I brought along. Got back to the hotel, only to discover the roll-up takes AAA's. Three of them. (3? WHAT? Don't these people know that batteries come in even number packages?) The good news is that our TV remotes at home all take AA's, and the price was right, so I will bring the AA's home with me. We'll be needing these eventually, I'm sure. Hey, kids, daddy is bringing presents home from Texas!

Finally, I DID find a piano at my hotel. It's in the bar / restaurant. Surrounded by people. At all times. Except after 10:00 PM Sunday through Thursday, when it's off limits.

So day one ended, with no piano playing.

(Hat tip to Sawtooth on the Grand Staff recommendation. I fired off an email to them this morning, and will probably go by there later.)

No comments: