Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"Daddy, when can you play this?"

Don't ask me why I have this... but in our piano bench, I have the music for Liszt's La Campanella (Paganini Etude No. 3). You may remember I mentioned this piece in an earlier, and, as it turned out, very useful post on Technique.

Jillian and Jason pulled this music out for me the other day and asked when I was going to be able to play it. I didn't even blink. "I can play it right now."

We all marched straight down to the computer, and I pulled up Kissin's rendering it on Youtube, which I will now embed for your viewing and listening pleasure. (Sue and I learned how to do this last night! You people are in for it now!)






"No, daddy , on the piano, not on your computer."

Since then, the music has been lying around. (We're not the tidiest family in the world, you see.) La Campanella is the one of the pieces I hope some day to be able to play, albeit not as well as Kissin...or Yundi Li, who does a completely different but equally masterful job with it:



I've been toying with the first page. (That would be about the first 20 seconds, well before things get really out of hand.) It is exciting to make recognizable sounds from pieces I've known and appreciated for a long time. Of course, "recognizable sounds" is not the same thing as music, but it's a start.

I'll get back to you in about ten years when I have the whole thing down.

No comments: