Friday, November 7, 2008

Ombre update

On the one hand, I haven't put the hours and hours into Ombre that I had intended. On the other hand, I have been working on it for quite a long time, and, since it's really not THAT hard, I would have thought I'd have been able to save a clean take on it. And yet, no, this has eluded me. Recital entries are due one week from tonight. The best recording I have saved right now has a couple of cringe-worthy missed notes, and a couple of other hesitations. At what point do you say, "You know, the piece might be a bit of a stretch for Aw2pp, hmm?"

I'm still submitting it, of course. But I wanted to set your expectations appropriately. Basically, I am not happy with where I am on Ombre, and, though I'll continue to try to improve on what I've got recorded, I'm also quite looking forward to putting it to bed for awhile.

In the meantime, I have been noticing that a lot of songs on my iPod make subtle use of the piano. And in many cases, I had not noticed before that a piano was even being played. Look forward to some examples of these in the next few weeks.

2 comments:

Michelle Himes said...

Congratulations on your first submission to a PianoWorld concert. We started at about the same time, but I am SO not ready for that yet. I'm not really familiar with the music, so I couldn't tell if you played a wrong note, skipped a note, or took too long turning pages. It sounded terrific to me, and I am so impressed that you even attempted a piece that has 5 pages, and no fingerings, and is not a method piece. [Big applause]

Always Wanted to Play Piano said...

thanks, mom3gram. Putting together an acceptable recording was a real challenge. I am hoping that what I get out of it (and out of doing this again in future recitals) is more than just "hey, I can play Ombre". I'd like to think so.