Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Acoustic gods are toying with me

Just when I decide a digital is the way I'll go, there pops up a new ad on Craigslist that reads thusly:

Yamaha upright piano U-1 for sale - $1500
Yamaha upright piano U-1 for sale (2001 make, but without bench). Great condition. Free delivery.


I would expect a "great condition" 2001 U1 to go for, um, about $5300. So what's up with this? A relatively new U1, the Honda Accord of pianos, for 1/3 price, and free delivery? That can't be right.

When I see something like this, I figure that one of two things is going on. The first, and most likely, possibility is that this is too good to be true, and therefore isn't. That is, it's not really a 2001, and/or it was in somebody's basement that was flooded, or maybe it was left in the garage and comes with it's very own family of possums free of charge. The other possibility is that everything is exactly as stated... in which case somebody has surely beaten me to this.

And while we don't have $1500 lying around, I've made the standard inquiry (serial number, pictures, still available?) and will report if I hear back.

No comments: