Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Checking in with Jason

I went to the Cubs game the other day with The World's Largest Kindergartner First-Grader. It was Jason's first Cubs experience. Here, I have the pictures to prove it.




Among other things, it was an afternoon of mental gymnastics. Jason has begun the Ask Random Questions About Everything phase, as I think I did when I was his age. If my recollection of my childhood is correct, and if he follows the same path I did, he'll remain in this phase for another 6 or 8 years. At least.

As best as I can recall them, here are some of the questions Jason asked. In no particular order, since it's not like they came up in a logical progression anyway.

  • How do the airplanes know where to line up? (On the way to the game, we drove on the Kennedy Expressway, which roughly parallels incoming flight traffic to O'Hare.)
  • Is fencing dangerous?
  • How do they make the lines in the grass?
  • How do the leaves grow on the wall? (The famous Wrigley Ivy.)
  • Who is the tallest person in the world? How did he get so tall? Do you think I will be that tall? (This started a whole other conversation about Pituitary Glands, then the endocrine system in general, and quickly exhausted my subject matter expertise. I was not sufficiently informative. My guess is that we'll come back to this some time soon.)
  • Why are there so many dragonflies here (at Wrigley field)? What do dragonflies eat? Do they think there is food here for them?
  • How many birds are here (again, at Wrigley)? What kind are they? Are there hawks here? Do you think our hawk friend will be here?
  • Do you think the organ player is our piano teacher? Do you think she could play this song on the organ? How much practice do you think it takes to be an organ player?
  • Why are Kane County Cougar games so special?
  • What is that guy doing? (Answer: lying down, stretching.) Why does he have to lie down to stretch? I don't have to lie down to stretch. Here, watch...
  • Why does wind blow in different directions?
  • Do you think Brown Bears who go up to the North Bole become Polar Bears? Is a Brown Bear bigger than a Polar Bear? I bet it bites harder, don't you?
  • What is the difference between an asteroid and a meteor?


That's about half of them, I'd guess.

- Aw2pp, who'd better get studying up on some of this stuff.

2 comments:

GranDeb said...

Awwwww! I just love Jason!!!

Unknown said...

I can totally hear him asking these questions... the stealthy smart kid that he is!