Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Verdict is in, and it isn't good

The tech came to see our old piano this morning. It didn't take long. The crack in the soundboard was significant enough to be observed from the back of the piano, without even looking inside the cabinet. (Should I be amazed by this?) The crack goes through the ribs, and would cost about $1,000 to repair. The highlights:

  • Overall, he suggested that the piano is in relatively good tune, given its age, the fact that at least four years have gone by since it was last tuned, and we have it on an exterior wall next to the front door.
  • He added that, given its condition, it should be adequate to what Jillian and I are going to put it through over the next four months or so.
  • BUT, unless it has some sentimental value, it was his opinion that it was not worth moving to the new house.
  • Finally, he suggested that Yamahas make very nice digital pianos.

I haven't touched the piano since, wow, Sunday. I miss it. But it's been a busy few days, and I am also newly sensitive to the ears of those around me. As Apollo suggested in the comments, the solution is obvious: a digital piano.

I am probably going to scope out the local scene for reasonable DP's. I have done just a little bit of research, and of course, there is always plenty of useful information in the Digital Piano Forum over at pianoworld.com. I'll give you some of my preliminary thoughts next time.

No comments: